This Week in Pop Culture 01/12/2015

Ava Atkinson

Hello fellow Warriors, it has been a long time since I last wrote an article, due to winter break, so I will catch you up on all things pop culture that happened over the time we were gone.

Google released the most searched celebrities of 2014, they are as follows:

Top Trending Actors for 2014                              Top Trending Actresses for 2014

1. Jared Leto                                                        1. Jennifer Lawrence
  2. Matthew McConaughey                                   2. Renee Zellweger
  3. Macaulay Culkin                                               3. Betty White
  4. Chris Pratt                                                       4. Ellen Page
  5. Theo James                                                     5. Kim Novak
  6. Ansel Elgort                                                     6. Margot Robbie
  7. Jamie Dornan                                                  7. Jacqueline Bisset
  8. Alfonso Ribeiro                                                8. Lena Dunham
  9. James McAvoy                                                9. Melanie Griffith
  10. Laurence Fishburne                                     10. Lea Thompson

Google also released the most googled song lyrics of 2014:

1. “Say Something”
  2. “Anaconda”
  3. “Fancy”
  4. “Happy”
  5. “Blank Space”
  6. “Royals”
  7. “Dark Horse”
  8. “Bang Bang”
  9. “Counting Stars”
  10. “Wrecking Ball”

The Interview Premiere date, December 25th, was postponed due to threats to movie theaters. After Sony’s system was hacked a few months ago, hackers have sent threats to movie theaters suggesting that violence would ensue if the theaters played The Interview. Naturally, the movie theaters decided it was best not to show the movie and Sony agreed not to penalize these theaters for their decision. The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) Department of Homeland Security (DHS) looked into these threats, but after it was confirmed that the threats weren’t sent by North Korea the investigation lost fuel and there have been no further updates.

In case you didn’t know The Interview is a movie starring James Franco and Seth Rogen who play reporters on a mission to assassinate the leader of North Korea, Kim Jong-Un. The movie contains quite a few graphic scenes including the closing one where Kim Jong-Un’s head blows up. Before releasing the movie, Sony Pictures checked with the US government to make sure that the scenes wouldn’t cause national security problems; the movie was approved by multiple officials. Sony eventually released the movie online and in select movie theaters on Christmas Day. According to ‘The International Business Times’ online (ibtimes.com) The Interview grossed 18 million dollars, the film “earned more than $15 million in online sales and rentals. It made $2.8 million more in box-office ticket sales.” All of this in only 3 days (Dec. 25-29).

* A ‘legend’ ends with the final season of Legend of Korra wrapping up. The Avatar: the Last Airbender spinoff defied many norms in the TV industry. It played on Nickelodeon for 2 and half seasons, and was then moved to the internet. Many thought that the show wouldn’t do well online, but it defied the odds and grew a large fanbase for the remainder of the third and all of the fourth season. Many people were attracted to this show because they loved the characters and the plot included interesting sociopolitical themes. “It’s a sophisticated and beautifully animated show” said Kyle Wager, a Legend of Korra enthusiast. He also stated:  “Legend of Korra is a more grown up show”
* Kanye West released a new song with Paul McCartney, and some twitter users asked: who is Paul McCartney? Below is a screenshot of one tweet about this ‘new’ artist and what a huge favor Kanye is doing for him.

Pop Culture

The song, ‘Only One’, was released on New Years Day. In this emotional ballad Paul McCartney plays the piano while West sings about his mother’s passing and her presence in his everyday life. The song includes many heartwarming lyrics such as “You asked for one and He sent to” referring to the previous lines where West talks about God sending angels to him. It was nice to hear a more melodic and heartfelt song from West and I highly recommend you give it a listen.