Chromebooks Come to Centaurus

Freshman Noah Bladen uses his Chromebook

Merritt Shepherd, Reporter

The freshmen at Centaurus High School recently received their own Chromebooks from the school. Centaurus was able to give all the freshmen their own chromebooks due to new funding that was part of the Web Chromebook Initiative. This initiative believes that Chromebooks help enrich the learning experience for students, and help students succeed in a global society. This is because the Chromebooks provide internet access to students anywhere in the building and the access to internet allows for educational information from the internet to reach the students.

The  freshmen at Centaurus were originally suppose to get the Chromebooks in November instead of in January. This delay was due to the teaching staff and other faculty making sure that the Chromebooks would be as successful as possible. The faculty took many steps to make the new Chromebooks successful. According to Jason Oliver, 1:Web Ed Tech Specialist, “New wifi has been upgraded last year, they have done a lot of training around taking a look at digital citizenship and appropriate use of them, getting the parents involved, and reminding people to charge them.” After taking these steps, all the teachers were confident that the new Chromebooks would do well.

All the freshmen were excited to receive their Chromebooks for school work and for entertainment. When freshman Claire Roalson was asked why she was excited about getting a Chromebook she said, “Because I can use it at school and do my online homework easier during lunch.” Freshman Kellan Karch was happy to get to “have a computer in class and get to type notes.” While most freshmen only admitted to using their Chromebooks for school, freshman Mia Belting said the she was excited to “get to watch Netflix at home”.

Everyone who was involved in getting the Chromebooks to the freshmen believes that they will help kids learn. Freshmen can use them to take notes, which is helpful for students with messy handwriting because then they can reread what they learned in class.  Also, freshman Audrey Atkinson said that Chromebooks “will make me do my homework more and it gives other kids computer access at home.” The ability to have computer access at anytime helps students learn because then they can always have time to work on projects or look up things they don’t know. The new Chromebooks at Centaurus High School will help the freshmen learn in a different and more exciting way.