Celebrating the New Year Around the World

Kenia Flores Hernandez, Reporter

As the clock strikes twelve on December 31, there is a season of celebrating the new year around the world. In many places people stay up late to see the old year out and the new one in. London’s Trafalgar Square and New York City’s Time square swarm with crowds of happy, noisy people.

I had some students from different cultures tell me a little more on how they celebrate new year.

* “In Mexico we celebrate the new year with family eating menudo or tamales, by playing drinking games with friends, and by running around the house. The first way we celebrate the new year in Mexico is eating. I eat menudo a soup from pig stomachs. My family eats tamales, we wrap the masa in corn husks. The second  way we celebrate is by playing. My family plays drinking games. We bounce coins off the table  into cups. After that we celebrate by running. My family runs around the house. The people take their backpack and run together. I think this tradition is crazy!!. In conclusion, in Mexico every year we celebrate family by eating, playing, and running. This holiday is very fun.”

* “In Colombia we celebrate the New Year with the whole family.  We eat a special dish,dance and eat 12 grapes for good luck. One important way we celebrate the New Year in Colombia is eating una bandeja paisa. This is  a dish that includes white rice, beans, patacon [fried plantain], egg, avocado, chicharron, arepa and chorizo. My family and I cook that dish together on this special day. Another important way that we celebrate New Year’s is dancing. We dance all night to old and new Colombian songs. We also make a circle and one person will be on the middle of the circle and dance. The most important and last way we celebrate is eating 12 grapes. When it is midnight we eat 12 grapes to wish  for all the good things we want for the New Year. Everyone does the same thing to make their wishes come true and to forget all the bad things of the old Year.In conclusion in Colombia we celebrate the New Year by making a traditional dish, dancing, and eating 12 grapes for good luck.”

* “In China, we celebrate the New Year by having a big dinner with family members, by watching the TV show and fireworks, by visiting the people wearing the new clothes. We have big dinner the day before New Year’s Day because different dishes have different meanings. We always have fish for dinner and the fish means “hope you have enough money this year”. After staying awake all night,we have dumplings to celebrate the new year (of course we don’t have to keep awake all night now). After dinner, we always do something special to celebrate the New Year. We watch a TV show that the government makes. It’s a new fashion. People all over the China watch this show. We also fire off fireworks. In the old days, people did this to sacred scary monster (that’s a long story). On the New Year’s Day, we visit other people. We dress up and visit our neighbors and family members,saying the sentences that have good meanings to each others. Children get money from the old people after kowtowing (a custom to make people  kneel and touch the ground using their forehead) to the elder people. In conclusion, by having a big dinner, watching fireworks and the government TV show, and visiting the people,we have a great Chinese New Year.”

* “In Thailand we celebrate the new year by making food, playing, and by shooting guns. At the beginning of a new year in Thailand we make sticky rice. To make sticky rice we wash off the rice and pour water in a bowl then let it soak for one day.After that we cut the bamboo that is hollow.Then we put rice inside bamboo and burn it. Then kids would race to get the money. In new year people gather in field and come watch kids play. The kids would try to race to get money or sometime they would give the snacks instead.Finally we wait till midnight to hear the gun shooting. During midnight people would stay up till 12 o’clock. Then people would shoot the gun or sometime they would set off firework. In conclusion in Thailand we celebrate the new year by eating,playing,and staying up late to hear the guns shooting.”

* “In the Karenni culture, in the country of Thailand we celebrate the new year by making food ,drinking and eating and staying awake all night.First we celebrate the new year in Karenni is make food. We make food for people and family.We eat with family.After that people or your friend or family come to you house to eat and drinking with you family. Later on We take shower.We take shower  at night at 12:00 o’clock to get rid of all the bad thing that you had done. And to say goodbye to this yearo and bring in the next one bring good things to life or luck for the next year. at last We staying awake all night. go out with your friends to eat all the specials food.And staying at people house eat, drinking and singing with friend and people which is a great way to enjoy a night.In my cultures we celebrate the New Year making  food ,Eating and staying awake all night with family and friends.”

* ” In  Huehuetenango, Guatemala we celebrate the new year drinking, making food and staying awake. One way we celebrate in Guatemala is drinking a lot. We drink with friends at home.  Also at my home we dance with some friends and listen to  music. Another way we celebrate new year is  making  food. The traditional foods that we eat are  tamales and pupusas. We make tamales with corn or rice  for all the family then we eat at  the table. A final way we celebrate the  new year is by staying awake. We stay  awake all night dancing and  eating food then at 12:00 we eat 12 grapes and we give everyone a hug. In  conclusion  celebrating  new year in Guatemala is great because we are with our whole family and we drink together, make traditional food, and stay awake. ”

The following students were the contributors to the paragraphs above.

Yue Teng

Nyein Win

Emiliana Meijia

Edgar Gutierrez Soria

Ti Reh

Augustin Rodas