Girls Swimming Has a Record Breaking Season

Coleman Dickson, Reporter

Centaurus Girls Swimming performed very well at State and had a great end to their season. Seniors, Erin Jenkins and Merritt Shepherd were the captains of the team this year that led them to place higher at Conference and State than they had in past years. Centaurus did very well overall competing throughout the season.

Jenkins, a senior at CHS and one of the swim captains said, “I think everyone improved a lot this year but a standout was Rachel Mahar because she ended the season amazingly.” Jenkins went on to say, “I think we all did very well this year mostly because we placed higher in Conference and State and just because the team is getting a lot faster as a whole.”

Both captains agreed on the team “rivals”. “The teams rivals were mostly Monarch and Niwot, but more Niwot than Monarch,” said Shepherd, “Our coach would always tell us that we had to beat Niwot’s relays at Conference and State.” Jenkins said, “As a captain it was great to see how close the team got and to see how much everyone improved. As a swimmer my favorite part of the season would have to be beating the 200 Free Relay school record with Merritt Shepherd, Shannon Milton and Skylar Riley which was a lot of fun and we’ve been trying to do that for a while.”

Jenkins also said “the relationship between the teammates was really great. There was just an overall great synergy between us. I also feel like we were a lot closer this year than in previous years.”

The team got 4th in their Conference and 11th at State and won several dual meets throughout the season. Nine school records were broken “which was an amazing thing to be a part of,” said Shepherd, who was on all of the record breaking relays. “It’s something we’ve all been working towards for years,” said Jenkins who broke the school’s 50 Freestyle record that had been in place for almost 10 years.

There were four girls who swam in the State Finals; Erin Jenkins, Merritt Shepherd, Shannon Milton and Skylar Riley. Jenkins got 7th in the 50 free and 14th in the 100 free, Shepherd got 14th in the 500 free and Riley got 12th in the 50 free. Riley, Milton, Shepherd and Jenkins were the A relay team that competed in the 200 and 400 free relays at the 4A State Championships.

“Our team was better then I think it has ever been,” said Shannon Milton a sophomore at Centaurus and girls swimmer. Milton was out most of the season due to shoulder injuries.

“The team this year had a lot more girls and we all came together as a whole, working harder which helped us place significantly higher at state,” said Milton, “The team gets along very well and all the teammates have really grown on each other. One of my favorite parts of the season was being able to cheer on my team.”

Haley Rowley a senior here at Centaurus and also a new addition to CHS girls swim team said, “I have really enjoyed getting to know the team throughout the season. I have made a lot of friends along the way and it has been a really fun season overall.”

Rowley also said, “The transition from Boulder high to Centaurus was quite a jump. They are both really different environments and I really enjoy both and have had fun at both.” Rowley broke multiple school records this year but was unfortunately unable to compete at state due to injury.

Overall the Centaurus girls swim team had a great, record-breaking season, and they hope to continue to improve next year, even with the loss of the seniors.

State Team

State Team