The Brilliance of Birdman

Coleman Dickson, Reporter

Birdman also known as The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance was a film put out in late October of 2014. The film received very high reviews from all across the globe and was a huge success financially with a total gross income of around $ 98 Million. The film also won many awards such as academy award for best picture, best director, best original screenplay, and best cinematography.

The main cast members included Michael Keaton who played the main character Riggan Thompson also known as the super hero Birdman, Edward Norton who played Mike Shiner a successful broadway actor, and Emma Stone who played Riggan’s daughter & assistant Samantha Thompson a drug addict just out of rehab.

The film is about a character named Riggan Thompson who is trying to remake a name for himself by writing, directing, and starring in a broadway version of What We Talk About When We Talk About Love. Mike Shiner a broadway actor who is new on set doesn’t exactly get along with Riggan but is chosen to stay by Riggan for his incredible acting ability. As the end of the play reaches a close, he decides to use a real gun on stage for the part of his character when shooting himself in the face. As he luckily wakes up the next morning, he flies out the window as being his so called superhero Birdman.

I thought the movie was extremely well written. The screenplay was exceptional and had me on the edge of my chair the whole time I was watching it. The whole experience of watching Birdman was phenomenal. I thought the performances that Mike Shiner and Riggan Thompson were putting on were extraordinarily real. They took their character and made it reality. Everything they did felt so real and so lifting. The end of the movie was simply amazing. It left you with the feeling of being simultaneously curious but satisfied. You truly felt surge of wanting more but at the same time you take a step back and feel extremely compelled.

There was nothing I didn’t like about this movie. Birdman was simply “perfect”.

birdman2