Centaurus Wins the Gold Opportunity Award

Kenia Flores Hernandez, Reporter

Centaurus High School received the Gold school of Opportunity award from the National Education Policy.

The University of  Colorado’s National Education policy Center developed the recognition as an alternative to test scores based “top school” list. The goal is to highlight public schools as they close the ” Opportunity Gap”, and highly encourage and promote success, and demonstrate outstanding results not only as a school, but also a community. Only six high schools among Colorado and New York attained this award with more than 100 schools candidates.

The people behind the “School of Opportunity” project are Carol Norris, Principal of South Side High School in New York, and Kevin Welner, a professor at the University of Colorado, Boulder’s School of Education.

Welner said, “Centaurus is creating a school community that is welcoming and caring, as well as academically challenging and supportive and requires a broad package of policies and practices.”

Centaurus focuses in particular on strong supports for entering ninth graders, surrounding them with a thoughtful set of social and academic supports in learning, and many extracurricular opportunities.

Our honored school also has a broad diversity, which opens up more opportunities to shine and show what you can do. Students who come to Centaurus with academic needs are rapidly helped with the academic support they need in such classes like ELD.

Schools were judged on 11 principles identified by experts in the 2013 book, Closing the Opportunity Gap.

“Schools can’t make neighborhoods or homes. But they can work to ensure that students are physically and emotionally safe in school,” said Welner.

During a visit to Centaurus, Welner said he was impressed with the school’s devotion to understanding the needs of incoming students and providing support to meet those needs.

Centaurus has those bonding relationships and enthusiasm to learn and achieve great things.

Congratulations to the students, staff, and community of Centaurus High School for their outstanding effort! It’s a good day to be a Warrior.

“It’s wonderful to receive a recognition that acknowledges the work we do for our students.”

-Centaurus Principal Dr. Rhonda Haniford