Emmy’s Recap

The Emmy Awards were last Sunday (9/20) and like all award shows, there were surprises, touching moments, snubs, and critics regarding all aspects of the show itself. Let’s review it, bit by bit.

Here’s Your Host: Andy Samberg

Andy Samberg was the host of The Emmys this year and anyone familiar with his individual writing and his work in The Lonely Island will have noticed a lot of Samberg’s slightly off-beat humor seeping through during the opening monologue and throughout the rest of the show. Due to his unconventional sense of humor and a lot of his jokes falling flat with the audience, some critics are stating he bombed the show. However, some argue that Samberg’s sense of humor brought a new light to the traditional show between his lines of self-deprecating humor and social commentary and was able to set the tone for the rest of the show.

It’s About Time

Viola Davis of How to Get Away With Murder became the first African-American woman to win Outstanding Lead Actress In A Drama Series. Recognizing this, Davis thanked the other African-American actresses who have influenced her and quoted Harriet Truman in her speech.

Standing Strong Again

Actor, Tracy Morgan, made his first public appearance in months following a traumatic brain injury. Morgan presented the final award of the night but not before giving a speech about his own return into the public’s eye. He stayed humble and thanked a lot of people. It is unknown what Morgan’s next step in the show business world will be.

Big Winners

Olive Kitteridge, Veep, Allison Janney, and Jon Hamm all made notable wins at The Emmys. Olive Kitteridge, an HBO miniseries based on a novel by the same name about the title character’s life and marriage, took home eight awards. Veep, an HBO political comedy series following the life of a fictional vice president, took home five awards. Allison Janney won her seventh Emmy Award, tying her for first place with two other actors for most Emmys ever won. Lastly, Jon Hamm (finally) won his first Emmy for his role on Mad Men after thirteen nominations throughout the years.

RIP P&R

After 11 nominations and despite seven seasons, the NBC sitcom Parks and Recreation joins it’s mockumentary cousin, The Office, on the Emmyless shelf.

So What’s With the Green Ribbons?

Throughout the show, some stars could be seen wearing green ribbons. Every year, it seems that there’s a new ribbon with a new cause. This year’s were to support Barack Obama’s climate change plan, a cause worthy of supporting.