Cell Phones as a Distraction

Coleman Dickson, Journalist

Cell Phones are amazing devices. No one in the eighties thought you would be able to call someone from your pocket no matter where you are. Nowadays they are even more available and come with internet connection and apps. No one thought there would be internet let alone on a 5 inch device in the eighties. It still ceases to amaze me that my phone can give me directions to wherever I need to go. You’re probably thinking “what a great device,” and you would be right thinking that.

But the problem with these incredibly high tech devices is that most of the people who use them get too wrapped up and lost in them. You might say “well Coleman, what do you mean?”  Let me explain. People tend to have their cell phones replace daily tasks that they should really be doing themselves. You might say “well that doesn’t sound so bad,” and it’s really not, but when you text someone who is right next to you instead of talking to them it tends to become a bit of a problem.

These are incredible devices, but I believe they take away our personality. I am all for cell phones, but I believe there needs to be a slight change of plans.

I think it would be a really good idea to have a cubby hole that students put their phones in at the beginning of class so they cannot check updates, messages, etc. This forces the students to stay in the real world and not get trapped inside their devices. I have a family friend who works as a teacher in Denver who takes away the student’s phone if she sees the student with it more than once. In my opinion a big part of this question is the students willpower not to take out their phone and does the student have the discipline to interact with other human beings.