IB Awesome

Maddie Wright, Senior Editor

“IB is Awesome! (see what I did there)” — Damian Howard, Senior

IB Awesome is an annual event led by Ms. Susie Mitzelfeld and upperclassmen in the International Baccalaureate Programme with the intention of promoting IB at Centaurus to underclassmen.  “It’s very open. You have tons of chances to talk to staff and seniors about what you want your IB path to look like,” said Senior, MiaBella Difiore. “It’s a good fun time and it’s pretty helpful for people who [know] nothing about IB,” adds Senior, Damian Howard. However, as far as the organization of the event goes, it wasn’t stellar; things weren’t super clear. “Even as a junior, I didn’t know what to expect and I had no idea what was happening,” commented Junior, Kole Lavoy.

The IB classes are growing more and more each year. The class of 2017 has over 70 students, which is significantly larger than the class of 2010 who only had 12 students.  “There are barely enough classes to hold our current classes. How can we expect a bigger class next year and not die of overpopulation in the classroom?” said Lavoy. However, despite IB Awesome being the biggest IB event for non-IB students, a combination of other factors may be more impactful to the growing class sizes. The results IB produces speaks for themselves. “I did [attend IB Awesome as an underclassmen] and it just solidified my decision to do it as I learned more about TOK and all the cool IB stuff that I didn’t know a lot about,” stated Howard. “I’ve always kinda known I was going to do IB. It did help with course selection though,” added Difiore. “IBA solidified my thoughts and provoked me to make a decision,” noted Lavoy. The general consensus is that underclassmen attending IB Awesome come in with their general opinion of IB already formed and the event simply persuades them to make a decision and made their decision concrete. So, why are the IB class sizes increasing so quickly? “I think the IB stigma is going way down compared to what it was — anyone can do IB and you still have a minimal life. But other than that, I think people are looking more towards the future in the end IB is what is going to prep people for college and it’s a great program that I think people are starting to see,” said Difiore. “Overall it’s just a good program that has shown a lot of success in the past and has a good history of getting people places,” noted Howard. Essentially, the IB programme is speaking for itself; it is showing rather than telling.

“Be open to trying it out but at the same time be aware of the strengths and weakness of not only yourself but a program; that goes for any program you think you might want to do in high school.” — MiaBella Difiore, Senior

Aside from the rapidly growing class sizes, IB is undergoing some other changes. Mitzelfeld is stepping down from her post as IB coordinator and history teacher Johanna Lohr will be taking over next year. “It goes without saying we are all going to miss [Mitzelfeld] and all of her energy. Mitzie has the ability to get people passionate and also a way of helping them de-stress their lives. But at the same time I can’t wait to see what Mrs. Lohr has in store for IB as well,” said Difiore. “I feel like a very clear and unique path will be laid out for each student. It will be less stressful then but easier to deal with,” finished Lavoy.