We Hear You — Luau Dance

Maddie Wright, Editor

You may have seen kids dressed in crazy clothes this week and wondered what that’s all about. Well there’s a dance this weekend! Do you remember hearing about it now? Yeah, it’s the one some people have been complaining about on Facebook. So why are people complaining? Who’s this Sadie people keep talking about? In short, Student Council is putting on the same dance they always put on this time of year but have stripped the idea of a “girls ask guys” formality and given it the theme of a Luau. Student Council treasurer and Centaurus Senior, Kyle Wager, believes the dance will be a real hit. “The success of the dance is what the students make it. I think this dance will be a success. We’ve got some great, new decorations. The commons will be laid out a bit differently than in the past, and just some fun additions we’ve never had before. I don’t want to give everything away here, but we’re really excited about this dance in student council so it’d be great if everyone came out. The first 150 students in get a red, white, and blue lei so make sure you get there at 8:00pm this Saturday.” Said Wager.

As for the the killing of Sadie Hawkins, there are some mixed emotions. “I don’t think it’s homophobic or sexist, I think it’s an old tradition. Honestly, whatever a poster about a dance says doesn’t mean it’s law.” Commented Sophomore, Nora Cuthbertson. By advertising a dance as “girls ask guys,” this doesn’t necessarily exclude an entire group of people. Junior Emma Walgren doesn’t necessarily agree, “I think it was a really cool feminist idea back in the day when women didn’t have a lot of opportunities, but now I think it just means that girls can’t ask guys to other dances. Plus, it’s super heteronormative.” Argues Walgren. The “girls ask guys” title does give a very heterosexual connotation and does give off the idea that girls can’t ask guys to dances such as Prom and Homecoming. “No one should need permission to ask someone they like out to a dance or in general so we are trying to remove that stigma from all of our dances. I realize it isn’t exactly what we’ve done in the past but we can’t let tradition be a justification for everything. Progress is moving forward and as with all growth there will be growing pains but in the end we will have done the right thing.” Wager weighs in.

As for the Luau theme, that’s simply Student Council trying to cater to the student body’s interests. “It was the second most popular theme in the votes for homecoming so we wanted to use it and we also wanted to mix up the traditional snowball theme so we saw the opportunity and went for it.” Explains Wager. However, despite StuCo’s best attempts, this theme is upsetting some students still. “I actually hate it. I just want a winter-themed winter dance. Plus, is anyone here Hawaiian? I feel like it’s a bit culturally appropriating.” Said Walgren.

If you haven’t came to this conclusion yet, StuCo is getting some backlash from the student body. Despite this, they are staying strong. “There will be haters and, like Taylor Swift, you just gotta shake it off. I wouldn’t even call it hate though; some people are upset and we value that. I can’t speak on behalf of everyone in student council, but I personally am trying to take this feedback and use it to push a series of election reforms. I can’t divulge all the details right now but I can say change is coming. We hear you, and we’re always trying our best to best serve you.” Concludes Wager.

So, to conclude, Student Council is trying their best to please everyone but also break out of tradition and in this process are facing detest. To help support Student Council in their attempts to reform the school and the stigma surrounding dances, come to the Luau Dance this Saturday (1/30) at 8:00, it’s only $5!