Top 5 Humanoid Robots in Cinema

Sam Jacobsen, Junior Editor

A staple of science fiction media, robots (especially those in human-like form) have captivated viewers since Fritz Lang first brought the idea to the screen in the 1927 film Metropolis.  We’ve watched in horror as they hunt down humans, cried as our favorite movie robots are shut down, and cheered as some of them won the day.  As a huge fan of the sci-fi genre, and a lover of  film and robotics, here is a list of my personal favorite humanoid robots from cinema.

#5:

optimus-prime-vs-megatron-hd-transformers-the-movie-1986-youtube-24

Optimus Prime–Transformers Series

This heavy-hitting Autobot has been the hero of many since his original appearance in the mid 80s.  Of the robots on this list he has appeared the most frequently in various movies and TV shows over the years; he also the least human like.  With the ability to transform into whatever he pleases and an arsenal of weapons, Prime has been an American pop culture for longer than most movie characters can ever hope to be.  From the 1986 movie, to Micheal Bay’s action-fueled series he has stood as a symbol of leadership and heroism, making him one of the best movie robots ever, along with one of the greatest movie heroes.

#4:

image

Apple–Turbo Kid 2015

A lesser known movie robot, this robo-chick proves that living in the wastes of post-apocalyptic Canada isn’t so bad when you have a friend.  One of the main protagonists of the B-movie comedy, Apple fights alongside the awkward Turbo Kid in hopes of escaping the clutches of the evil Zeus.  Armed with her powerful gnome-stick, her trusty BMX bike, and a sort of childish wonder, she’s a force to be reckoned with.  The source of most of the laughs and the feels during the film, she is a well-developed character, the likes of which are rarely seen in B-movie gore.

#3

alien_215

Ash–Alien 1979

A far less good natured robot, this mysterious android from the even more mysterious “Company” brings trouble to the crew of the U.S.S. Nostrum.  This ill-mannered bot has one goal in mind–to deliver the “perfect species” back to his masters on earth.  And that’s a task he’s willing to sacrifice all of his crew members lives for.

#2

roy_batty___blade_runner_by_danielmurrayart-d83imgm

Roy Batty–Blade Runner 1982

Part of the reason Blade Runner is my second favorite film of all time is for its thought evoking antagonist.  A bot doomed to die before his time, Batty is driven to do things he is less than proud of in hopes of receiving a longer life span.  Capable of feats of great strength and intelligence, Batty is a misguided villain with style and humor.  His character is frightening and memorable to say the least.

#1

Ill_be_right_back

T-800–The Terminator 1984

Finally comes one of the greatest movie villains in all of American pop culture–The Terminator.  Fearsome, versatile, unstoppable…Austrian.  This memorable move cyborg is the root of many of cinema’s greatest one liners.  When the movie first went under production few had faith in it, now the film has spawned one of the most recognized franchises in the world.  Whether it be for his nonchalant air of tough, his leather jacket, or his sick accent, it’s hard to denny that the T-800 is one of the coolest movie robots ever.