Keep Calm and Trap On

Back to Article
Back to Article

Keep Calm and Trap On

Despite angry Facebook posts and bickering at school, the Luau Dance happened on January 30th. “I thought the dance was a success. A lot of people didn’t go because they thought the change of theme and tradition would ruin the dance, but in reality the only thing that actually ruins a dance is the lack of student involvement. The dance was still very high energy and everyone there was dancing and having fun. All I can say is that, it was lit fam.” explained Centaurus Head Boy, Caio Gajdys.

Other than some people being upset prior to the dance, the lack of the Sadie Hawkins aspect of the dance didn’t affect the amount of fun had. “Some people I know complained about it but everyone looked like they were having a good time,” said senior and dance DJ Lucas Autobee (aka DJ HIGHKE), who would also like to thank Miguel Guerrero for co dj-ing at one point in the dance. As student council treasurer, Kyle Wager, mentioned, the dance strayed from the traditional “girls ask guys” concept in order to depart from expectations set in society. “[The lack of the Sadie Hawkins] angered many people who wanted to keep the tradition. A majority of these students who opposed this were either girls who had ‘cute’ and ‘fun’ ways to ask guys to the dance, who felt that the only way that they would be able to ask would be if the Sadies idea was in place and guys who felt that without it no one would ask them to the dance. This definitely hurt our attendance, but we still encouraged ‘anyone ask anyone’ and those who didn’t because of the lack of Sadie’s, only missed out for themselves,” commented Gajdys.

As for the Luau, people seemed to be having a great time despite earlier complaints. “The decorations were nice, and it changed things up from the usual ‘snow,’ ‘winter,’ and ‘cold stuff’ themes,” said Gajdys. “My coconut bra was more comfortable than I thought,” laughed Autobee.

In true Centaurus spirit, we didn’t have state of the art sound equipment or a big shot DJ so many of us came together to still pull it all off. “My favorite part of the dance was setting up the music equipment and fixing it when we blew the breaker. We didn’t hire a professional DJ for this dance, so we had to simulate one with the limited supplies we had. We had friends and classmates bring their speakers and lights from home and connected them in a way that we ended up blowing the school’s circuit breaker. Everything was fine after we let our equipment cool down and we rearranged all the extension cords. It was a different experience for me, and I definitely enjoyed setting up a huge and complicated sound system with my friends. And having our janky setup become a success in the end was a very good feeling,” said Gajdys with a smile.

All in all, the dance was really fun for everyone who attended and the naysayers only let themselves down. The dance tore down some traditions and truly shook things up. And all those who supported it were rewarded with a “lit” evening.

To bring this to an end, here’s a concluding thought from Gajdys: “Keep Calm, Trap On, Caio Loves You.”