Breaking up with Happiness

Maddie Wright, Editor

Look, Centaurus, can we real talk for a second? We’re in highschool. Highschool! The thing that’s somehow supposed to be both the best and worst time of our life. But whether you’re absolutely loving it or loathing it, there’s one thing we all have in common: we’re changing. Whether it be physical (hello, puberty!) or personality wise (hello, mood swings!), we are changing throughout high school (and college…and our 20’s…and our 30’s…and the rest of our lives, but that’s besides the point). But sometimes it’s our interests that change.

The thing we once loved and couldn’t get enough of we suddenly quit. Not necessarily because we absolutely hate it now but because we’re tired of it. Maybe it’s because we want more time in our day, maybe because our teacher/coach/director turned out to not be everything we thought they were, maybe it’s because we got bored, maybe it’s because we simply mastered it (lol, we’re highschool kids, we didn’t master it). But regardless, we once loved something, something wonderful, something we used to brag about, something that became our thing, and for one reason or another, we’ll toss it aside. We’ll always have our trophies, our letterman pins, our Facebook pictures, but our once happiness is no longer with us because we decided we didn’t want it anymore.

And that’s ok! There’s such a stigma around quitting something you did for so long and something you were truly talented at. But if it doesn’t make you happy, ditch it! Keeping it around it kinda a form of social hoarding. It’s just like not throwing out an old t-shirt on the argument that you’ve had it for forever. It’s okay.

Whether you be the person in marching band who quits their senior year because the only reason they’re staying is so they could have that four time state champion title, it’s okay to quit. Or if you’ve been on a swim team since middle school and the only reason you’re staying is to make your mom happy, it’s okay to quit. Or if you’re the star actor with a brilliant voice but you’re just not having fun anymore, it’s okay to quit. Simply put, if you’re not happy and you’re in a position where you can leave, leave.