How to Succeed In Business Without Really Trying: A Celebrity Story

Audra Smith, Journalist

Since the school’s last musical production was “How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying”, I decided to write about the time I personally went and saw the show on Broadway.

July 2012, was the day I met one of my idol’s relatives. At this time I knew what I was going to see, obviously. I was with the leadership program People to People and we were currently strolling down Times Square. Honestly, it was a childhood dream of mine to go down Times Square and then going to see one of my all time favorite actors perform in a Broadway musical. Who am I referring to you ask? Daniel Radcliffe.

It was a dream come true. Daniel Radcliffe is a childhood idol of mine and I’ve been a fan since I was two years old. I literally grew up watching the Harry Potter films and read all of the books in first or second grade. Needless to say, I am a huge fan and I was going to see him.

We arrived at the theatre around 6 or 7 o’clock. Since there was a large group of us, ranging from around 100-200 kids we had back row seats to keep the noise level to minimum and also they were way cheaper than the seats up front closer to the stage. The theatre was surprisingly not crowded whatsoever which shocked me even though the show had been playing a while I suspected that it would still be somewhat packed. I purposely sat myself in the center of the back row so I would have a decent view from the distance I was sitting. Nearly everyone who was in the theatre watching the performance was up very close to the front with the exception of the group that I was with and a couple sitting directly in front of me.

Shortly after everyone had been seated the show began. The narrator spoke in a very clear voice.

“Dear Reader, This little book is designed to tell you everything you need to know about the science of getting ahead. Now let us assume you are young, healthy, clear‐eyed and eager, anxious to rise quickly and easily to the top of the business world. You can!”

Then descending from above the stage in a harness was none other than Daniel Radcliffe himself. I watched the show with anticipation, absorbing every single word. The show continued with very humorous gestures and songs until the intermission rolled around. At this time nearly everyone in the group I was with went to go outside and walk around. I remained in my seat behind the couple.

Now I hate to say I was eavesdropping but in the end that’s basically what I was doing. I listened to the couple discuss the show and their thoughts about it. At first I thought they were critics reviewing the show, but then I realized that typically happens the day before the shows’ opening night for a private showing. Although, that is not the only thing that clued me in that they weren’t critics. The lady who accompanied the man referred to him as Mr. Radcliffe. Now, I don’t about you, but that striked me as very coincidental that not only was there a man known as Mr. Radcliffe but that Daniel Radcliffe was performing as well. So, being the person that I am I politely waited for their conversation to die down and tapped the gentleman on the shoulder and asked him if he was of relation to Daniel. He immediately chuckled and said, “ Actually, I am. Daniel is a cousin of mine.” I was practically shaking with excitement. “Oh my god that is amazing!” I exclaimed. “I am a huge fan of Daniel. I literally grew up watching him act since I was the age of 2,” I said. He chuckled again and replied, “ well I know he really appreciates his fans and would love to hear that he has one in the audience watching him perform tonight.” “Well it was wonderful to meet you.” I said. “And the same to you,” he replied. The show began shortly after we finished talking and ended about an hour or so later.

As we were walking out of the theatre I waved to Daniel’s cousin and followed my group out of the entrance. As we were loading the bus I turned around and saw Daniel Radcliffe exiting through the back and he was practically mobbed until he entered his car that was waiting for him. I approached the back of the bus to my previous seat in the far corner.

I look back out the window and see his car drive away. I sat there on the bus in complete astonishment just thinking about the last three hours and how this experience was a once in a lifetime thing and it would probably not happen again.