Top 5 Not-So-Great Movies With Amazing Soundtracks

Sam Jacobsen, Junior Editor

Sometimes a movie just isn’t so great.  And sometimes a movie is just down-right awful.  However, of those movies there are a few with redeeming qualities; in this case their soundtracks.  The following are films that were pretty disappointing in all ways but their enticing scores.  Not that the movies aren’t ranked based on how bad they were, but on how great their scores were:

5. Batman Forever (1995)

batman-forever-1995-movie-hd-wallpaper

There are many great movies out there about the Caped Crusader…1995’s Batman Forever is NOT one of those films.  With a blocky, childish plot, this flick lost all the gritty appeal that Tim Burton’s 1989 classic had.  It replaced it odd coloration, poor dial, and boring action.  What the film did have, however, was a gnarly soundtrack complied with artists like U2 and Seal.

4. Psycho (1998)

psycho1-e1434044916750

This isn’t the classic Hitchcock film that people actually liked…this is the crappy re-make that few people new existed.  Once again, this film takes a film industry great and shrinks it down to something not so great.  The once suspenseful tale is diminished to a tale.  Simple as that.  It’s just a story…nothing special about it.  A story famous for its unnerving characters are demeaned into lifeless husks by dull acting.  The only saving grace is the soundtrack.  With its main theme taken directly from the original score by Danny Elfman, the music or this film is pretty darned good.

3. Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (2009)

transformers-revenge-of-the-fallen-standee

I like The Transformers, I always have.  I do not, however, like Micheal Bay’s Transformers series.  The movies aren’t anything but big explosions and over-sexualized female characters who’s only purpose in the film is to bring in more viewers.  To be frank, Optimus would be ashamed.  The Autobots deserve better.  Yet, the soundtrack for the film is spot on.  Though the music isn’t really used in the right way, or at the appropriate times, it’s soft melodies and rock make it able to compete against the greatness of the soundtrack in the 1986 Transformers film.

2. Flash Gordon (1980)

SamJJones-Flash-Gordon

Who doesn’t love Queen?  Queen is great!  They’re so great that their greatness is almost enough to rival the not-so-greatness of the 1980 film Flash Gordon.  Now, in all honesty Flash Gordon isn’t the worst movie on this list, but it was pretty bad.  It was cheesy all around, and not in a fun campy way.  Rather, it was cheesy in the “Hey, do you like thinking fondly of childhood superheroes?  Yes?  Great!  Now watch as we shove this can of E-Z cheese up those dream’s noses and press the top ’till the dreams drop” kind of way.  Alas, when the day is done Queen is still bloody Queen.

1.Silent Hill (2006)

silent-hill

As a fan of the Silent Hill games, I was pretty bloody stoked when I came across this gem on T.V. one night.  Gem isn’t the right word…more like lump of coal.  This movie was not good in many ways.  The dialogue and characters were unlikable, and the story was a huge let down.  Once again this film took something great (this time a tortured tail of regret, redemption, and mental torment on deeply disturbing levels), and turned into something not so great, and completely unrelated to the source material (witch burning).  But, even though there were vast reserves of potential for this film that were never tapped, Silent Hill wins me over in two ways.  Firstly, it’s visuals make it possibly the best looking bad film I had ever watched.  Secondly, is its hauntingly beautiful soundtrack.  Taken straight from various entries into the game series, Silent Hill‘s soundtrack is arguably one of the best horror/mystery soundtracks ever.  The only problem is that the film sucked, so now its score will remain forever in the blood-soaked otherworld.