The New and Improved Success Lab

Nissa D'Agostino, Reporter

Success Lab has gone through a few changes since last year. Not a lot has changed as far as the structure goes; students who have one or more F grades are assigned to come into the class they have the lowest F grade in to make up assignments, according to an interview with Erica LeGrand, the drop-out preventionist.

This year what has changed is the philosophy behind Success Lab. Rather than a punitive idea, Success Lab is “an open opportunity for all students to receive any extra support for classes they may be behind in,” said LeGrand.

Some of the differences between last year and this year are that you only have to go for an hour instead of the full lunch period, and that if you manage to bring your grade up before your assigned date, your teacher can decide if you need to come at all.

This year the goal is to up the attendance rate of Success Lab. “We want the students to understand that it isn’t a punishment, but a way to help them succeed in in class, something students want–that they are willing to help themselves,” LeGrand said.

Whether or not you may think so, Success Lab actually helps. A majority of students say it helps form a good relationship between them and their teachers and helps them get individualized help. In LeGrand’s words, “How could it hurt?”

So far we are the only school in BVSD that has Success Lab; Legacy school in Adams 12 had a similar program, but they were having attendance issues and the program dissolved. Some of the advantages of Success Lab is being able to access individualized help; sometimes it’s hard to get access to the help you need in class but with Success Lab you’re able to get extra time to get help with your studies.

Another advantage to Success Lab is that it’s during the day, so you don’t have to be confused on what to do on homework. One of the problems Success Lab faces is attendance issues; the school is hoping that when students learn that it is a benefit rather than a punishment, attendance will be raised. “When you put time and effort into a class, you can only do good,” said LeGrand