Jason Oliver and the 100 Mile Race

Photo credit to Karen Oliver

Photo credit to Karen Oliver

Nissa D'Agostino, Reporter

Jason Oliver, the Ed Tech Specialist at Centaurus, recently ran an ultra-long distance race. The race was called the Bear 100; it was a 100 mile race that went from Logan, Utah, to the border of Idaho. The race began on Friday, September 26th and ended on Saturday, September 27th.

According to Oliver, the weather was nice on Friday afternoon, but it started raining Friday night, and continued to rain for the rest of the time and it got cold. It was also so muddy that there was about a ½ inch of mud on the bottom of his shoes for most of the run.

He finished the race in 29 hours, 36 minutes, and 34 seconds. The race was difficult because a lot of it was uphill, and he had to climb up mountains. The highest elevation was 9,000 feet and there was a total of 22,000 feet of climbing.

For the first 37 miles, he ran alone. After that he was accompanied by a pacer. A pacer is someone who goes with you while you run to make sure you are okay, eat and drink, etc. He ran the next nine miles with his sister, the next six miles with his wife, and the last half of the race with a racing friend of his. The race began at 6:00 on Friday morning, and he finished at 11:30 on Saturday morning.

This is the first 100 mile race Oliver has run, however, he has run nine other ultra races of five kilometers or greater.

He began racing in 9th grade when he joined his school cross country team. The first marathon he ran was when he was a junior in high school. “The best part of racing is individually challenging myself,” said Oliver.

His favorite part of the Bear 100 was the beginning, in the morning before it began raining. He was running on a single track trail through aspen trees, which in fall was a very pretty sight.

The best race he’s ever run was the Pike’s Peak marathon. “It was a door-opening race… it helped inspire me to really begin running,” Oliver said. The worst race he’s ever run was the Ironman Triathlon. Oliver describes the triathlon as “awful– I was having stomach issues, and I was cold and hungry.”

He doesn’t have a set training schedule, however he did while he was training for the Bear 100. When he runs, he doesn’t listen to music, as most people do. He prefers to listen to the quiet mountains.

An interesting story he had about the Bear 100 was a friend of his was also running the race, finished seven minutes ahead of him, but they didn’t see each other the entire race. Another story he had about racing was when he acted as a pacer for a friend. Oliver said, “It was 4:00, 5:00 AM, and I was keeping him from falling asleep.”

Oliver also enjoys racing with his kids.

He doesn’t have any solid plans for his next race, but he has entered a lottery drawing for the Hardrock race in Silverton, Colorado on December 6th.

When asked to give advice to new runners, Oliver said, “I would suggest to keep it fun, and run whatever you enjoy. If you like trails, run on the dirt. If you like running on the road, do it. Figure out if you like running with friends or solo. Mix up your runs so you keep enjoying running. Whether you enjoy running for fun, fitness, speed, or distance, enjoy yourself. Also I’d like to remind everyone that we have fun cross country and track teams here at Centaurus if you’re interested, and we don’t cut anyone who wants to run!”

Photo credit to Eric Lee

Photo credit to Eric Lee

Photo credit to Eric Lee

Photo credit to Eric Lee