Taylor Swift Throws it Back to 1989

1989 Album Cover

1989 Album Cover

1989 Album Cover

Erin Jenkins, Editor-in-Chief

Taylor Swift, or T-Swizzle as she’s been more fondly addressed, has created at least five notable albums in the last eight years. Her newest album, 1989, named after her birth year, was released on October 27, 2014. The debut of this album was followed by Swift’s appearances on The Voice and Good Morning America.

Swift strategically publicized her album 1989 by hosting a “1989 Secret Session” at her home on September 20, 2014 in which she invited many fans and famous friends to listen to the album while eating homemade pumpkin spice cookies. The event was soon splashed all over social media and everyone who attended the #1989SecretSessions was pushed into the spotlight.

Seeing as I follow @taylorswift on Instagram, I was fully aware and jealous of the guests invited to the 1989 Secret Session. This publicity stunt convinced many people, myself included, to pre-order the album on iTunes. By pre-ordering 1989 I got three pre-released songs: Swift’s newest single “Shake It Off”, followed by “Out of the Woods” and “Welcome to New York”.

The first time I heard “Shake It Off” was on the radio in August when it was first released. I immediately went home and bought the music video which, let’s be honest here, is quite a gem. Personally, I love that it’s a showcase of how awkward Swift is as a dancer and as a human being.

“Out of the Woods” and “Welcome to New York” were two songs that I loved the first time I heard them. It was a smart move of Swift to release the songs that initially gave good first impressions before launching the rest of the album.

Upon first listen of the entire album my first thought was, “Really Taylor? What are you doing?” However, after listening to it on repeat for a few days straight, I realized that I had actually become very fond of the album as a whole.

1989 is the first album of Swift’s that has been classified solely as Pop, and honestly it’s about time. The last album that she made that was really a Country album was Fearless (released in 2008), and even then it was borderlining on Pop. Swift started drifting away from Country after Fearless, despite the fact that all of her other albums until now have “technically” been in classified in the Country genre.

Along with Swift’s jump from one genre to another, came an image transformation. Gone is the wildly curly haired and innocent girl many had come to recognize, and here is the new Taylor, with a shorter haired, edgier look who is rarely seen without her now signature bold red lip and winged eyeliner.

The more I listen to this album, the more I enjoy it. The songs that weren’t my favorite upon first listen, such as “This Love”, “Clean” and “I Know Places” have now neared the top of my favorites list for this album. Initially, these tracks were dull and blah, but after giving them a more thorough listen, I have found that they have many layers and depth that I didn’t hear the first time around.

The only song that I don’t love is “Bad Blood”. I feel like this song isn’t anything special and it is semi-uncomfortable to listen to. However, that being said, I do appreciate it more than I used to because I know the backstory. Swift allegedly wrote this song about Katy Perry, not an ex-boyfriend like many seem to think. This is quite a refreshing topic because of Swift’s astronomical amount of love songs.

Overall, 1989 is a great album and I highly recommend it to anyone and everyone, even if you haven’t been the biggest fan of Swift in the past. The tracks are uplifting and spread good messages about life and love. I’ve gotta say that even though it took me a little while to warm up to this album, it has become one of my all time favorite Taylor Swift records.taylor swift