Dubai’s Glitz and Glam Uncovered

Amara Carranco, Freelance Reporter

All the rumors and gossip are true! Dubai is as rich and glamorous as the media says. But despite the glitz and glamor, most natives of Dubai live and abide by their strict culture and religion.

Some men wear traditional head gear and white robes, while some women cover their heads and faces up to their eyes. Some women also wear black robes that almost touch the floor. A lot of the women in Dubai are very conservative in public, but there is a significant number of people who look as though they belong in America. Most women dress conservatively, but if a girl were to wear a short skirt and shorts as they do in America, she wouldn’t stick out too much.

It is encouraged to stay conservative though, even the stick figure signs for the men’s and women’s bathroom have long robes that cover their legs. Although most people think they do this out of respect for their religion, they do it out of respect for their spouses.

In Dubai, showing your hair and face is an intimate thing, and should only be shared with your loved ones. Even though the main religion in Dubai is supposed to represent their conservative lifestyle, the people of Dubai, are some of the richest in the entire world due to all the oil companies they own. For example, all of the cars in Dubai are not only the top of line, but some of them haven’t even hit the U.S. yet. Stores in the “lower priced” mall, include Dior and Gucci for kids.

Despite the stores in America we call regular such as, H&M and Gap, these stores however are at least twice the price in Dubai. Since these chain stores originate in America, they are considered more valuable. Dubai is it’s own exotic and glamorous culture, but it definitely resembles a bit of an American flair.