Watergate Journalist Dies: This is His Story

Coleman Dickson, Reporter

Ben Bradlee was a famous editor of The Washington Post in the 1970’s during the Watergate case with Richard Nixon. Bradlee is amongst one of the most famous and influential journalists in the history of American journalism.
Bradlee was born August 26, 1921 in Boston, Massachusetts where he spent most of his childhood. As a young boy, Bradlee was very curious. He read a lot of novels on his free time and much enjoyed writing about them. Bradlee grew up in a very wealthy family with domestic staff, his brother Freddy and his sister Constance. Bradlee was the second of the 3 children in his family.
During the late 1920’s, his family lost all of their wealth due to the stock market crash. He soon attended Dexter School and then finished at St. Marks where he played basketball. He was very involved during college which he attended at Harvard University. Bradlee majored in English and Greek due to his passion for writing and reading.
In 1942 Bradlee graduated from Harvard University with a degree in English and Greek. Only 2 hours later Bradlee received his naval commission. After the war ended Bradlee became a news reporter at The New Hampshire Sunday News which he actually helped develop. In 1948 he sold the paper and got a job at The Washington Post as a reporter.
He became pretty good friends with the associate publisher Philip Graham. He joined the the office of USIE (The U.S Informational and Educational Exchange) in 1952. One year later Bradlee became an officially employed member of the USIE.
In 1954 Bradlee divorced his first wife and married Antoinette Pinchot 3 years later. As a 1950’s reporter Bradlee became close friends with John F. Kennedy who also graduated from Harvard University around the same time as Bradlee. So close in fact that Bradlee toured with Kennedy and Richard Nixon in their presidential campaigns. He even wrote a book in 1975 about his relationships with Kennedy during those years.

He divorced again and married a girl named Sally Quinn who also happened to be a fellow journalist at The Washington Post.
One of Bradlee biggest stories at The Washington Post and the case that he is remembered for was Watergate. The Watergate scandal was not just a big event but no one else in news history was doing something like this and when Nixon went down that is what made Bradlee’s mark in the news world and the political world.
Bradlee published an autobiography in 1995 titled A Good Life: Newspapering and Other Adventures.
At the Washington Post Bradlee eventually became Vice President of the paper before dying October 21st 2014.