Home is Where the Warrior Heart is

Maddie Wright, Reporter

Losing one’s home of 21 years is never easy, no matter the circumstances. Recently losing a husband doesn’t make this transition any easier. Susan Maldonado, a paraeducator at Centaurus High School, went through this not two years ago.

In May 2013, Maldonado lost her husband, Tony Maldonado, to a heart attack. She then fell into depression. “My second part of life is going through depression because I didn’t know what I was doing,” Maldonado said.  The support of her friends helped her through this to an extent but a tragic event to this measure is bound to have even more negative results.

Without a second income, Maldonado didn’t earn enough money to afford her house and was being evicted. The widow didn’t know where to start packing up the home that she knew so well, the home her daughter grew up in, the home her husband died in. “You go in there and you’re like, ‘Where am I going to start? Which room am I going to start in?'” This is when the rest of the community stepped in.

Maldonado’s late husband touched many people in the community by always offering to help out and giving whatever was needed. This made many people volunteer to help in any way they could. “People from the community were coming up to me and asking me ‘What can we do to help? Can we have this? Or I heard you were going to be homeless, can we give you a dollar or this or 25¢ or something to help you find a new place?'”

After all the help she received, the Boulder Mobile Home Park is no longer labeling this as an “eviction” but rather a way for Maldonado to get back on her feet. They are giving her a small amount of money to help her move on from this neighborhood and start living in a new, better one.

A month ago, Maldonado and her daughter moved into a new apartment. “It feels like its a hotel, a fancy hotel and I’m waiting for a check out, when they say ‘OK, it’s 11 o’clock, time for you to go.'”

All in all, these events have opened Maldonado’s eyes to how good and caring the world can be. The community, as well as Centaurus, truly shows warrior HEART in the way that they are willing to step up and lend a helping hand.