This Week in Pop Culture 12/8/2014

Ava Atkinson, Reporter

Welcome to my new column all about pop culture, in which you will receive the ‘low down’ on what happened in music, fashion and many other mediums that happened this week. To catch up I included information from the past month in fashion.

This year I went to Black Friday for the first time. I was a little scared and really nervous because of the stories that I heard about this dreaded day of shoppers. We are constantly told horror stories of people being trampled over the newest Playstation. Although, I’ve always wanted to go to Black Friday because I am a fashion lover and I like to find deals on the clothes that I buy.

So, this year I gathered a group of friends to protect me from the mobs of angry soccer moms and headed to the Flatirons Crossing Mall at midnight. I perused many stores and found some great deals and not so great deals. But, overall there were pretty short lines and no tramplings.

While strolling around the stores I found some really cool trends to try out for winter. Army green was widespread in the coat area which pairs well with maroon and mustard. Also, long sleeve baseball tees showed up a lot. But, my favorite trend for winter is oversized sweaters, they are super cozy and work well with just a pair of leggings and boots of your choice.

Dressember has started! This is basically no shave November for girls, if you wish to participate you wear a dress every single day in December to raise awareness for women’s rights. If you would like to donate or find out more go to www.dressemberfoundation.org

On December 10th Chanel hosted showed 2015 Métiers d’Art Paris-Salzburg collection at the  Leopoldskron castle in Austria. The collection was inspired by Coco Chanel and her trip to Austria in 1936 from which she drew a lot of inspiration that formed the Chanel classics like the boxy, flat lapelled jackets we all know so well. The inspiration from these jackets actually came from the bellhops who worked at the hotel she was staying at. (Sorce: http://chanel-news.chanel.com/en/home.html) This and much more history is displayed in the original film titled “Riencarnation” Karl Lagerfeld made for this event, which can be seen at: http://www.adweek.com/news/advertising-branding/ad-day-pharrell-stars-musical-fantasy-drawn-chanels-history-161726