Centaurus Gets New Water Fountains

Nissa D'Agostino, Reporter

Centaurus has recently gotten two new water fountains. These water fountains allow you to fill up a reusable water bottle. They also keep track of how many water bottles have been filled at that fountain, which is a neat way to see how many people have helped the environment.

Disposable plastic water bottles are harmful for the environment because plastic is not biodegradable. If people throw the bottles away instead of recycling them, they can sit in landfills and cause harm. Toxins from the plastic can leak out and harm our soil, water, and animals.

Plastic water bottles can also be harmful to your own health. The water inside the bottles can be made harmful due to the toxins in the plastic that can leak out into the water. If you drink those toxins, it may lead to illness, and can potentially lead to higher risks of cancer.

Using the new water fountains can help make the water you drink safer when you fill up a reusable water bottle. It can also help keep the environment cleaner. When you reuse a water bottle, you don’t have to throw away plastic bottle after plastic bottle. It’s a cleaner, safer way to enjoy your water.

Centaurus was able to get these new water fountains thanks to the the Senior Class of 2014 and Eco-Warriors. The Senior Class helped pay for the two new water fountains downstairs about two weeks ago.

Eco-Warriors recently applied for and won a grant to get another water fountain for the upstairs. To win, they had to fill out an application saying why they wanted the water fountain, and what they would do to provide education on conservation. When asked how he felt about the new water fountains, Owen Lunz, the sponsor for Eco-Warriors, said, “It’s good to raise awareness on the issue.” He also said, “Bottled water is super wasteful. You spend unnecessary money.”